Never mind. I read the source to gtktreeview.c and I now see that there is
nothing I can do about the calls to on_iter_next(iter). I looks like the
treeview is determined to know which rows have children even before it has to
display the row.

So I am stuck with 40K calls to on_iter_next(iter) just to show 10 rows on the
screen. Ho hum.

Regards

Richard

--
You can normally find me on Jabber as [EMAIL PROTECTED]