Im attempting to determine the fastest way to draw on an image with various line/circle annotations and then have access to the rendered annotation to save or further process. This needs to run a video speeds (10-30 frames/sec). From the reference and Faq it looks like I have the following choices:

A) load the image in the client space an draw directly into the image space with the client library (OpenCv), then display the annotated combination to the X server most likely with draw_rgb_image( pixmap ...., my img buffer). Pros: I have the annotated image ready to save, no slow retreive from the server via 'pixbuf.get_from_drawable ...' Cons: the client side drawing is limited, not nearly as feature rich as gtk, and looks to be somewhat slower than the server side drawing.

B) Load the image, draw it to the server side immediately with draw_rgb_image, and then annotate it their with the nice & fast drawable drawing methods. When done, retrieve the whole thing with pixbuf.get_from_drawable...

So the question is, whats the best way to go, or am I missing a part of the picture? B) gives me blazing fast drawing w/ full access to a graphics context, but its a major slow down if I need to save the annotated frame.

Mark