Ok, so adding the CheckButton to he menu was really easy... just needed
to add type="toggle" to the .xml menu definitions. Something like this:

<menuitem name="Alarm" verb="Alarm" _label="_Enable alarm?"
type="toggle"/>

Now, what I need is a way to get the events thrown by this menu entry,
'cause adding the callback to verbs list doesn't seem to work.

In C, people use something like:

component = panel_applet_get_popup_component (PANEL_APPLET (applet));
bonobo_ui_component_set_prop (component,
                                "/commands/Mute",
                                "state", mute ? "1" : "0", NULL);

get_popup_component seems to exist on python-desktop, but i can't find
any documentation about this... If anyone could explain or help a bit
with this, i will really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-- adolfo