I have been trying to teach myself PyGTK.  I decided
to create a little GUI with a scrollbar.  Using the
scrollbar, I can select the temperature in degrees
Fahrenheit.  By clicking on the Convert button, the
GUI displays the corresponding degrees Celsius.

I have made a lot of progress, but for some reason,
the thumb on the scrollbar will not move when I click
and drag it.  I asked for help on the Python tutor
mailing list, but there are not a lot of PyGTK experts
on that list.  I have looked over the docs and the
tutorial, too.  Can someone help me out?

#!/usr/bin/python

import pygtk
pygtk.require('2.0')
import gtk

def convert_to_celsius(widget,data):
        degC = (data - 32)/1.8
        print "Degrees Celsius: %.2f" % degC

def scale_set_default_values(scale):
        scale.set_update_policy(gtk.UPDATE_CONTINUOUS)
        scale.set_digits(1)
        scale.set_value_pos(gtk.POS_LEFT)
        scale.set_draw_value(True)
        scale.set_sensitive(True)

class Conversion_GUI:
        def __init__(self):
                self.window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
                self.window.connect("destroy", lambda w:
gtk.main_quit())
                self.window.set_title("Convert to Celsius")
                self.window.set_default_size(200,240)

                box1 = gtk.VBox(False, 0)
                self.window.add(box1)

                box2 = gtk.HBox(False, 10)
                box2.set_border_width(10)
                box1.pack_end(box2, True, True, 0)

                box3 = gtk.HBox(False, 10)
                box3.set_border_width(10)
                box1.pack_end(box3, True, True, 0)

                adj1 = gtk.Adjustment(32.0, 212.0, 32.0, 0.1, 1.0,
1.0)
                self.vscale = gtk.VScale(adj1)
                self.vscale.set_size_request(20, 300)
                scale_set_default_values(self.vscale)
                box1.pack_start(self.vscale, True, True, 0)

                quit_button = gtk.Button("Quit")
                quit_button.connect("clicked", lambda
w:gtk.main_quit())
                convert_button = gtk.Button("Convert")
                convert_button.connect("clicked",
convert_to_celsius, self.vscale.get_value())
                box3.pack_start(convert_button, True, True, 0)
                box2.pack_start(quit_button, True, True, 0)

                self.vscale.show()
                convert_button.show()
                quit_button.show()
                box3.show()