On my display the original date and author info is unreadable no matter
what brightness and contrast settings I use.
The bolder font is much better for readability but kind of spread out.
The third one with the darker hue is the easiest to read for me. I find
the date and author info useful and it seems odd to have it floating
around at the bottom of the news item.

Ok, so we should keep the 3rd one?

As for its positioning its layed out like this:

|--------------------|
|News Title          |
|News Content        |
|           News Info|

Why does it look strange? Its not floating, its positioned on the
right hand side of the news box.

We need to finalize the outlook so we can get things up soon, though.