When I follow the directions in the FAQ for populating a ComboBox

combo = tree.get_widget("combobox1")
combo.set_model(store)
cell = gtk.CellRendererText()
combo.pack_start(cell, True)
combo.add_attribute(cell, 'text',0)

I get two columns of identical text in the popup menu.  This is after
several liststore.append() commands to populate a few rows.  When I comment
out the last line, I get the expected single column.  I seem to be using
version 2.0 of pygtk.  I am just learning treeviews and comboboxes, so most
likely I am doing something stupid.  Any idea what?

Also, I want the box to display the first item as soon as I create the
ComboBox.  What is the easiest way to do this?
--
Jeffrey Barish