Is that code snippet of any help?

def set_foreign_key(self, colnum, SQLObject, colname_1, colname_n):
        """maps a foreign key to a corresponding attribute in the n-table.
colnum is the position of
        the column in the treeview (integer), SQLObject is the SQLObject class
the mapped value is
        retrieved from, colname_1 is the column name of the foreign key field,
colname_n is the column
        the value is retrieved from."""
        column = self.get_column(colnum)
        cells   = column.get_cell_renderers()
        cell = cells[0]
        column.set_cell_data_func(cell, self.__use_foreign_key_val,
[SQLObject,colname_1,colname_n])

the only problem with this approach is that one col can have various
CellRenderers; this code asserts that only one renderer is assigned to the
cell.