On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 16:19 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 22:55 +0800, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >
> > > I discovered that I can probably do this with just the D-Bus API. I made
> > > the attached test case after some googling, but the call to PolicyKit's
> > > ObtainAuthorization() doesn't seem to have any effect. I'd welcome any
> > > advice.
> > >
> > > I'm on Ubuntu Hardy Heron, where PolicyKit is definitely working, as
> > > seen when I try to use the Services control panel, for instance, which
> > > has an Unlock button.
> > >
> > > I believe that I need to call ShowDialog() if ObtainAuthorization()
> > > denies authorization, but I want to understand this first part.
> >
> > The names of interfaces and objects changed a bit since 0.6 to 0.7 to
> > make it desktop agnostic (so in some future if the user is running
> > non-GNOME he will get a native authentication agent etc.); this is what
> > you should use
> >
> > http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/model-authentication-agent.html
> > http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit-gnome/ref-auth-daemon.html
> >
> > There is no ShowDialog() any more. Does that clear it up?
>
> Thanks. I figured out a bit more since I sent the email, but I'm still
> having no luck. I blogged about it:
> http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2008/02/07/gnome-lirc-properties-using-policykit-to-get-sudo-access/

OK, unfortunately I won't have time to look at this until I'm back from
vacation late next week. But it's worth checking if just dbus-send works

 $ dbus-send --session --print-reply \
             --dest=org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent / \
             org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent.ObtainAuthorization \
             string:<the_action_id> \
             uint32:0 \
             uint32:$PPID

where <the_action_id> is something like

 org.freedesktop.hal.storage.crypto-setup-fixed

or whatever comes out of polkit-action. If that works it's probably just
a dbus-python issue...

You asked for a website in your blog entry. What's wrong with

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit-gnome/

On a more serious note, yeah, I should move the docs to e.g.
policykit.freedesktop.org or something like that.

       David