> Is there some best-practices document or something regarding creating
> composite widgets with gtk?

I'm not really experienced in this, so please don't take my words for
"best-practice" or the like...

First suggestion (that is not strictly for composizion of widgets) is to
read the nice docs on object for python so you can add signal and propertyes
to your composed widget.

I'd personally consider not to have many TreeViews but just one single and
some functions to change columns visibility and model. In this case I
*believe* it would be possible to inherit from TreeView, otherwise I'd
inherit from HBox or directly from gobject.

sandro
*:-)

[1] http://www.sicem.biz/personal/lgs/docs/gobject-python/gobject-tutorial.html