Is there anything in pygtk that would allow me to detect when the
screensaver is activated? (I have found a way for win32 using pywin32)

Since I got no reply from xorg, does anyone here have any ideas?
Here is the original email I sent to xorg mailing list:

Hi,

What is the official way of detecting when the screensaver is activated?

I thought it might be the "_SCREENSAVER_STATUS" property of the root
window so I tried running:
while true; do xprop -root _SCREENSAVER_STATUS; done
And then starting the screensaver with gnome-screensaver-command -l

Nothing showed up. I must be missing something obvious.
Is this documented anywhere?

Cheers
Antoine

PS: apologies if this is not the correct list, I can't think of a better
one.