sandbox_m...@yahoo.de wrote:
> Please can you explain why you connect the handler now to the realize
> signal instead of map. I tried both signals and it *seems* to work just
> exactly the same, is there a subtle difference?

Realize is the normal signal to use if you need to make changes to the
underlying GdkWindow once it has been created.  I was using map in the
initial hack because Gtk appeared to set some behaviours after the
realize; probably when 'show' was called.

> Finally I rewrote the code without the connect_after at all and it also
> seems to work:
>
> self.balloon = gtk.Window()
> parent = self[PropertyDialogView.top]
> self.balloon.set_transient_for(parent)
> self.balloon.set_destroy_with_parent(True)
> self.balloon.set_decorated(False)
> self.balloon.set_accept_focus(False)
> self.balloon.set_property("skip-taskbar-hint", True)

This looks much more sensible actually.  Making changes to the
GtkWindow/GtkWidget and letting Gtk itself handle setting up the
GdkWindow tends to be the better option when it is possible.

--
Tim Evans
Applied Research Associates NZ