On 14 May 2010 21:29, Neil Benn <neil.b...@ziath.com> wrote:

>   I'm asking because I don't want to use a paradigm from another experience
> which is not suitable to what I'm trying to do with python and gtk.  Thanks
> for your help.

The most common gtk method for avoiding threads is to use tricks like
idle functions (glib.idle_add and friends) or timeouts
(glib.timeout_add) to handle things while the UI is idle. This does
require that these functions execue quickly, and it sounds like your
tasks aren't that well suited to this approach.

While it's perfectly possible to write threaded programs using pygtk,
Python's GIL, restricts the amount of parallelism that can be achieved
in pure python quite heavily, so threads aren't always the best
solution. The multiprocessing module addresses this by using processes
rather than threads, but still providing an interface that's quite
similar to the threading module.

--
Neil Muller
drnlmul...@gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?