On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 22:56 +0100, Dieter Verfaillie wrote:
> On 26/12/2010 21:05, Shin Guey Wong wrote:
> > This all in one installer is great for developer. However, the installer
> > contains lots of development files(header, static library, docs..etc) which
> > doesn't need by a user who just want to install pygtk with gtk-runtime to
> > run pygtk application.
>
> Ah, but in my opinion developers are the intended audience not only for
> the all-in-one installer but also for the per package pyg* installers,
> the gtk+ binaries (and bundle), any other python extension installer
> ever released as .exe, .msi, .egg or source code and yes, even the
> Python installer.

Fully agree with Dieter here. This all-in-one installer is intended for
developers. To distribute programs to users py2exe actually works very
well once you have it up and running, and I suggest people use that to
distribute their python applications.

Of course some things could be done to make py2exe'ing pyGTK
applications easier, and Dieter and I have discussed what tools or
utilities we could ship with PyGObject to accomplish this. Work is
ongoing, but I suspect now that we can assume developers will be
generating their py2exe installers via this new all-in-one installer we
can make some assumptions about file locations, etc, which will
streamline the process.

John