On 17-02-11 21:08, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
I'm confused trying to make a filtered&  sorted treeview.  Filtering
works... data is correctly displayed.  But sorting does not work.

self.todo_model = gtk.ListStore(gobject.TYPE_PYOBJECT)
# Create a TreeModelFilter to control row visibility
self.todo_filter = self.todo_model.filter_new()
self.todo_filter.set_visible_func(self.todo_visible_filter)
# Create a TreeModelSort to wrap the TreeModelFilter
self.todo_sort = gtk.TreeModelSort(self.todo_filter)
# Set a sort function
self.todo_sort.set_default_sort_func(TaskList.sort, None)
# Set the model in the view to the TreeModelSort
self.todo_task_view.set_model(self.todo_sort)

TaskList.sort ---
     @staticmethod
     def sort(model, iter1, iter2, user_data):
         print 'SORT', model, iter1, iter2
         sort_by = model.get_sort_column_id()

This fails because model is a TreeModelFilter... which does not have a
method get_sort_column_id.... why isn't this the TreeModelSort object?
NOTE: Using a sorted filter can be very confusing in the beginning. I recently implemented this in my app too.

As far as I know, it is the lowest model, the liststore. Your setup looks good, it is the sort function that is not good. The docs [1] say that the function should return -1, 0 or 1. Here is the method I use:

    def _sort_func(self, model, iter1, iter2):
        data1 = model.get_value(iter1, 3)
        data2 = model.get_value(iter2, 3)
        if data1 == data2:
            data1 = model.get_value(iter1, 2)
            data2 = model.get_value(iter2, 2)
        return cmp(data1, data2)

This will sort column 2 if the values in column 3 are equal. The key part here is the built-in cmp() function that will return -1, 0 or 1, which is what we need.

Cheers,
Timo

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/pygtk/stable/class-gtktreesortable.html#method-gtktreesortable--set-sort-func

[that is the model directly owned by the view.

Does anyone have a working example of a filtered sortable list?