On 22/02/2011 16:55, Kurt Underhay wrote:
> I'm using pygtk-all-in-one-2.22.6.win32-py2.6.msi to install PyGTK on
> Windows 7 64bit.
>
> I've already installed Python2.6.6, and it works OK. However, when I try to
> install PyGTK, I get the following message from the installer:
> Python 2.6 could not be located on your system.
>
> After which the installer simply exits.

Did you install a 64bit Python interpreter? The most probable reason
for that message is that the all-in-one installer can't locate a 32bit
Python interpreter (which works fine on 64bit Windows).

There are no 64bit PyGTK binaries for Windows (yet) and even if there
where, it would probably be a safer bet to stick with the 32bit version
as the 64bit GTK+ runtime binaries distributed on gtk.org (which
would be needed by 64bit PyGTK binaries) are still marked
experimental.

> My Python2.6.6 installation directory is C:\Program Files\Python26. I've
> created a symlink at C:\Python26 pointing to the installed directory. I've
> also created an environment variable called PYTHON, pointing to the install
> directory. None of these steps make a difference to the installer.

Be extremely careful with installing Python into a path that contains
spaces (like "Program Files"). Doing so is opening a can of worms.
See here for more info: http://bugs.python.org/issue1284316, especially
comment 26240 by Tim Peters and comment 104384 by Mark Hammond.
No idea if your symlink idea could help ease the pain or not though.

That said, if you do choose to continue with such an installation layout
and you encounter bugs in the PyGTK aio installer please consider
filing bug reports as I don't recall ever testing such a layout...

> What do I need to do, to get the PyGTK installer to recognise my Python
> installation?

If you have installed a 64bit Python interpreter you should replace it
with a 32bit version, if not there's some other problem. In that case
please let us know.

mvg,
Dieter