On 06-03-11 15:18, mercado wrote:
Hello all,

I am having a problem left justifying the text in a label.  I have
included a sample program below.  I am trying to left justify the
label text ("This is a test"), but it is showing it centered instead.

Can anybody point out where I am going wrong?  Thanks in advance.
Have you read the docs about set_justify()? It has 3 important parts in your case.
Quote [1]:
|gtk.JUSTIFY_LEFT| is the default value when the widget is first created. If you want to set the alignment of the label as a whole, use the |gtk.Misc.set_alignment|() <http://library.gnome.org/devel/pygtk/stable/class-gtkmisc.html#method-gtkmisc--set-alignment> method instead. The |set_justify|() <http://library.gnome.org/devel/pygtk/stable/class-gtklabel.html#method-gtklabel--set-justify> has no effect on labels containing only a single line.

* Your call to set_justify() does nothing, because you call the default value.
 * It wouldn't work anyway because you only have one line.
 * The solution is to use set_alignment()

So replace label.set_justify(gtk.JUSTIFY_LEFT) with label.set_alignment(0, .5) and it should work.

Cheers,
Timo

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/pygtk/stable/class-gtklabel.html#method-gtklabel--set-justify

import gtk

def main():
     window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
     window.set_title("Left Justify Label")
     window.set_size_request(500, 500)

     frame = gtk.Frame("Status")

     label = gtk.Label("This is a test")
     label.set_justify(gtk.JUSTIFY_LEFT)

     frame.add(label)

     vbox = gtk.VBox(homogeneous=False, spacing=0)
     vbox.pack_start(frame, False, False, 0)

     window.add(vbox)
     window.connect("destroy", gtk.main_quit)
     window.show_all()

     gtk.main()

if __name__ == "__main__":
     main()