Hi Robert,

This makes sense, but I don't see why you need threads to do it. Multiple
> windows can be controlled by a single thread.  If a given document needs an
> intensive calculation, that can be split into it's own thread, but that
> seems orthogonal to having multiple documents open.

I cannot do everything in a single thread because, when the user tries to
open the same document again I should be aware that the document is already
opened and put the already opened window on top of the screen rather than
open two instances of the same document.

If you double click on a text file, then just minimize the window and double
click again upon the same file you will understand the (correct) behavior
that apps such as gedit have.

So I need a centralized server or something like that, which must be on a
separate thread or separate process.

> Especially if you're communicating over a socket.  If you're doing this,
> why not run each document in its own process?  You'd get even more
> separation (no GIL) and don't have to worry about how to call GTK functions
> from multiple threads.

I could keep separate processes but this way I'm afraid I would not be able
to control the window of another process unless all processes/windows have
their own server, so the server being not only one but one per instance,
maybe I'll try this solution.

Thank you and best regards,
Giuseppe.