I can confirm this behaviour.

My application is slightly different in that it downloads data from a web
page and appends it (using append_to_async()) to a file.

The result is the same: Garbage at the beginning of the file. And the
garbage data becomes longer in later attempts.

I've tried this on a native stable Gentoo system and a native Arch system.
Both up-to-date and both show the same garbage.

However, I've also tried it on a vmware guest Arch on a Windows host (also
up-to-date) and there is no garbage.

I also did a debug print on the data just before the write_async() call.
The data seems to be alright.

And I decoded the utf-8 stream after load_contents_async() and encoded to
utf-8 before write_async() as I was working on the data. But it didn't help
with the garbage.