On Oct 22, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> a)
> Can the dialog, that asks for the printer-to-be-used, be avoided too?
> (Because I just wish to export to PDF, nothing else).
As an example

filename = './ultimafactura.pdf'
po.set_export_filename(filename)
action = gtk.PRINT_OPERATION_ACTION_EXPORT
response = po.run(action)

where  'po' is the print Operation, you need to set the action
gtk.PRINT_OPERATION_ACTION_EXPORT and set your filename, then just run the
print operation, since it is not  gtk.PRINT_OPERATION_ACTION_PRINT_DIALOG it
will not show the dialog, and it is not  gtk.PRINT_OPERATION_ACTION_PRINT
either it will not send the print to the selected printer (in case you selected
a printer).

> b)
> I understand that the page would need to be "drawn" in memory, if we were to
> export an image.
> However, is that required for a text-document too?
Yes, you have to draw, this is the hard part when printing, You can just
populate your cairo surface but if you want to have a pretty formatted text
you'll need to draw it. Please note, you are not exactly drawing in the same
sense than drawing a circle or a rectangle, you'll need to use pango to create
the text forms and attach them to the Cairo surface

> c)
> Also, I am still a bit unclear on the backend code.
> You mean to say  that "only" GTK has the backend code, and Cairo/Pango are
> just to handle the drawing part?

 * Gtk is the one that gives you the print operation, also, responsible for the
events and all that stuff.
 * Cairo is the one in charge to draw, it gives you canvas, context and other
stuff to "draw"
 * Pango handle pretty text, also, is the interface for your text to be handled
by Cairo.

Marco Antonio Islas Cruz
mar...@islascruz.org
marco.is...@gmail.com