> There's some debate here where I work about moving forward with the PyKaraoke
> project. At this time nothing has been decided or set in stone. We want to
> open up communications to see if our goals fit the community. We are looking
> for a karaoke player that we can use in a professional capacity. To that end,
> we have contributed several enhancements and bug fixes to this project. The
> two major concerns we have are the usage of the LGPL for the GUI code, and
> the lack of modularity in the overall architecture. The issue with the GUI
> code being LGPL is the possibility of the company's work being used against
> it to be built into a larger system. Though this was a concern even in the
> beginning, it is increasingly becoming a sore spot as each new enhancement is
> given. The other issue is the architecture of the system. It appears to be
> more and more fragile with each new enhancement. The possible corrections for
> this are to re-write/re-design the architecture itself. Once again, let me
> say nothing has been decided. We actively wish to discuss these concerns and
> see if any possible solutions can be made to address them.

I am not familiar with who all holds the copyrights to code in the
project, but if your worry is that someone will take this product and
compete with your company with the same code, then why don't you just
use a full GPL rather than the LGPL?  It may seem counterintuitive at
first, but if a competitor did use it under the GPL, they're going to
have a harder time doing that and not releasing all of the rest of
their code along with it.  There are plenty of companies out there
that make this model work.

As for the code's fragility, I can't really comment.  A documented
modular design is always a good thing though.

tim