> One other issue is that the thread overhead is not usually the
> bottleneck in a WSGI application. Database access has a much bigger
> impact on performance.  If you need to handle thousands of
> simultaneous requests, you probably need multiple servers anyway.

depends,
if you need to handle thousands of requests that are at the same time
pretty idle (see Comet for ex), the memory that threads consume is a
big issue.

An event based framework solves this by saving as litle state as
needed (or possible) so that it could handle a large number of
otherwise slow or idle connections.

Python in general is not so well suited for all of this. I've been
playing with Erlang latelly and this kind of stuff is impresivelly
easier there.