On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Ryan <ryan.mckil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use PyMox for mocking in unit testing of models. While testing views, I'd
> like to mock model methods as well. Any examples of how to do this?
> Or, is this the wrong approach? Should the view tests be considered full
> integration tests, and therefore not be mocked?

View tests are a higher level of unit test, because you can test the
return dict rather than the rendered HTML.

The extreme approach to testing is to "mock everything possible,
providing only the minimum dummy features necessary to exercise the
test". But most programmers would just test the real models in views,
using a test database with sample data. Because if you already have
other tests testing the model in isolation, they should have caught
any problems in the model. And if you have high-level model-access
methods (usually class methods on the model) which the view calls,
you'd test those in isolation too. Then you can just let the views
test the real models, and if the view result contains model
instance(s), you can examine those too and make sure they have the
correct values.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>