Am 04.03.2011 09:11 schrieb mjmein:
In my mind we still need something that works on Django level, with
more constraints imposed, but I am expecting that the new version of
TurboGears based on Pyramid would address that.

That's also my understanding.

Our experience with the TG project is also that users really dislike if you force them to make choices. For instance, when TG2 was still young, it was difficult to choose between the more mature TG1 or the upcoming TG2. And then you also had the choice between SQLObject and SQLAlchemy, between Kid and Genshi, etc. The choice between traversal and dispatch presents a similar difficulty to new Pyramid users. Newbies hate such choices because when they start using a framework, they don't have enough experience to make an educated decision and they fear that they will waste a lot of time if they make the wrong choice in the beginning.

That's why I think it's a good idea to build an "opinionated" framework on top of Pyramid where those choices have been made for you that will work best in the majority of cases.

Regarding documentation, Donald Knuth's technique of simplifying things in the first chapters and mentioning the exceptions and alternatives only later may be helfpful for newbies:

(From the TeXbook: "Another noteworthy characteristic of this manual is that it doesn't always tell the truth ... The author feels that this technique of deliberate lying will actually make it easier for you to learn the ideas. Once you understand the simple but false rule, it will not be hard to supplement that rule with its exceptions.")

-- Christoph