I started to lay the groundwork for this in
https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid_debugtoolbar/pull/182 by making the
panel name a unique identifier that can be used in more places. This
work probably needs to be completed but I did it on that panel
activation branch which has some real problems waiting to be solved.
We would probably take that work and provide some sort of
find_panel(name) api which would possibly solve most of your
complaints.