On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Jon Rosebaugh <j...@inklesspen.com> wrote:
> Around last December, I got annoyed with the way PasteDeploy combines the
> INI file parsing with the WSGI object loading. INI files are awfully clumsy
> and there are many alternatives that offer features such as lists and nested
> dicts, but as long as WSGI object loading was done through PasteDeploy,
> Pyramid could not easily take advantage of these config formats.

Hey, I was just thinking that last week, that maybe it would be worth
switching to YAML or JSON config files. I thought I would have to
write the glue code myself. I have a validator that I call from my
main function that validates the settings and converts their types. I
want any invalid settings to raise an exception at startup, not when
they're used in some obscure request. I've also got a fair amount of
list parsing and nested data structures and extra INI sections. It
takes a significant amount of code and deciding how to express these
in a setting or a section and write unit tests for them. I've found a
section works for something dict-like, and dotted key names can be
used for nested dicts or objects, but it's more cumbersome than
expressing them directly in YAML or JSON. I also have to create a
ConfigParser myself to read the section, and set the 'here' or
'__file__' key if I need them. Thanks for publishing Montague; I'll
try it out.