I'm using Apache, and we compared waitress+mod_proxy vs uWSGI, and
found that uWSGI had several times better performance. We had bogdowns
at high loads but they disappeared when we switched to uWSGI.

The tradeoff is that uWSGI is complex to configure and troubleshoot,
and we had to locally compile it with its C component because the
Ubuntu version was too old. It has a hundred configuration options
which aren't very well documented, and the log output is verbose but
not very meaningful (or at least I don't get much out of it). It won't
initialize Python logging like 'pserve' does, so you have to do it
yourself in the application. It has an option that's supposed to
configure logging from an INI file but it didn't work for me. So I
made a 'logging' setting with the path of the logging config (so
'%(__file__)s' for the same file), and then in ``main()`` if the
setting is not empty I call ``logging.config.fileConfig``. Another
downside of uWSGI is you can't just point a browser at it for testing.
I think the uWSGI command has a mode that sends a request to a running
server like 'wget', so that could test single pages but not complex
logging-in scenarios or searches.

But in spite of that we're still using uWSGI. And as long as the
Apache gateway is functioning, you can test it with a browser through
that.

Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>