I've been struggling to learn how to use Pylons and it's getting to the
point that I'm about to give up and just use Django. I need some advice
on how to make this less painful.

I've been a (professional) web developer for over a decade now and
can't remember ever being this frustrated with learning a new trick. I
started back in 1997 as a Perl guy. Then I moved to Microsoft ASP and
then to ASP.Net. However, the .com crash then made it difficult to find
work on large, ambitious web projects. ASP.Net was overkill for the
corporate identity sites I was building to eat so I learnt PHP. Now I'm
creating larger web projects again and feel like I'm wearing a
straightjacket when using PHP. But I want to stay with open-source so a
couple of months ago I began to teach myself Python.

I'm at the point now that I'm comfortable with writing productive apps
in Python and am looking for a good MVC framework. I started with
Django and found it reatively easy to pickup. However, one of the
reasons it's easy is because all the components are so closely tied
together. I decided to buckle down and try to learn Pylons because of
how loosely coupled everything is and I agree with the WGSI philosophy.
But having to learn Myghty/Cheetah (still haven't decided), SQLAlchemy,
Paste, and Routes all at once sucks. Add in the lack of my Python
background and things are overwhelming.

Is there anyone else out there that is trying to learn this all at
once? How are you doing it?

My suggestions to the maintainers: You need to vastly improve the docs
if you're serious about increasing user adoption; the QuickWiki one in
particular. There are just too many statements along the lines of "see
the official docs for X for more info". The bassakwards presentation of
the QuickWiki is also confusing. A start-to-finish, step-by-step
walkthrough on how to create a database-driven Pylons app would be a
boon to the project. "If you're using Postgres, do A, B,C. If you're
using MySQL do D,E,F". "If you're using SQLAlchemy do this. SQLObject
do that." Just my two cents...