On 3/11/07, iain duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I haven't done it but it's a live issue in our office.  I have one
> > site that's a web application (Quixote) and will also be a standalone
> > web application for laptops without Internet access (e.g., for
> > emergency responders on a truck or ship).  We debated doing a wxPython
> > interface for the standalone but didn't want to maintain two totally
> > different APIs.  wxPython has an HTML panel but I don't think it
> > supports CSS or Javascript, plus how would you make a URL for an
> > intra-application hyperlink?  So we decided on a local version of the
> > web application, which has its own set of problems: the browser is an
> > automomous process unless you embed it in a platform-specific way
> > (both Windows and Macintosh), the server is either invisible or has
> > its own little GUI to stop it - which all works differently than a
> > normal application.  Some say local web applications will be a lot
> > more common in the future but for now they just look weird to most
> > users.
> >
> > I've seen Dabo twice at PyCon and am impressed by it, both for
> > database CRUD and for general GUI applications.  It's much more
> > pythonic than raw wxPython, although I'm not sure how it compares to
> > PythonCard.
>
> So, having done it with a local web app and now having seen Dabo, would
> that change your choice if you were to do it again? I would love to hear
> more details on how that went if you have time. ( good, bad,
> interesting, etc )

So far we've done some initial tests with Py2exe (Windows) and Py2app
(Mac) and put it on the back burner.  I've tried to stay away from
that part because I'm more of a Linux guy.

If I did it again I'd still go the web route because the differences
between a web framework and a GUI application are so big I don't see
how can avoid writing essentially two applications.

It would be worth some research to see how feasable it is to support a
GUI frontend with Pylons.  Would you make the GUI emulate a web server
so you could use your Pylons controllers?  Or what would you do?

> I would also think that a wxPython or wxWidgets app that talked to the
> db through a socket layer could be made dead easy to install, but as I
> have not done that, maybe I'm way off base?

> Anyone know if you can use SQLAlchemy as your backend for Dabo? If not,
> I would think the smart way to do it would be to make a simple little
> api or socket server that allowed one to use the same model code for
> both versions. But it's all brainstorming right now fer me.

That's what you'd do, make a UI-agnostic framework-agnostic model and
use it in both applications.  It doesn't have to be sockets;
high-level function calls into the model is easier.  Dabo uses its own
db-unifying code according to my quick glance at the site.  Of course
you can just use Dabo's UI portion with SQLAlchemy.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>