Thanks Ben.  I'll give that approach a try.

ben adam wrote:
the way i do it is by using the webhelpers as follows (using myghty):

from template:
 <form ..>
 ... your select options, etc...
  </form>
 <% h.observe_form("your_form_with_select",
url="" update="txtfld", with='value') %>

and from controller:
  new_val = request.params.get('val')
  return Response(h.text_field("res", value=new_val))