Hmm, I was scared of touching anything in Pylons for fear of it
"exploding" Jose:-)) This is what I did instead:

Edit /usr/share/python/debian_defaults to this
Code:

[DEFAULT]
# the default python version
default-version = python2.5

# all supported python versions
supported-versions = python2.4, python2.5

# formerly supported python versions
old-versions = python2.3

# unsupported versions, including older versions
unsupported-versions = python2.3

Remove the symlink in
cd /usr/bin
rm python

Then:

vps:/usr/bin# ln -s python2.5 /usr/bin/python
vps:/usr/bin# python