Dear Ben,
In general I agree with you ambiguity is bad, and /user should be different
from /users/index, however users are also lazy, and they have grown
accustomed to being able to type http://somewebsite/ and having that return
a page.  so I'm just trying to figure out how to get my users to main/index
(I always call my main controller "main").  Since pylons does not map to
files directly, but to controllers, I've used the thought that
http://mysite/something should be equivalent to
http://mysite/something/index just as it would be on a filebased system (
http://mysite/something == http://mysite/something/index.php, index.html or
what ever the default "page" is).  Not sure if this makes sense or even if
its valid.  I'd be really interested in your thoughts about this
Jose