I remembered seeing this when I was looking at Turbogears.  It looks
like it originally came from elsewhere and you might be able to
incorporate it easily enough.   Not sure it would work in this
environment though, what happens if process restarts?

http://trac.turbogears.org/browser/trunk/turbogears/scheduler.py?rev=1334

Cheers

Aaron