Hi,

I have a conceptual question (or idea) I would like to discuss with
the experience people out there.

My background: experienced developer for GUI & commercial apps, newbie
for web based applications.

Trigger: I found no structural support for handling the navigation =
basic application structure inside Pylons.

Beeing a GUI kind of developer I'm quite accustomed to something like
creating and manipulating "menu's" to guide the user, and to restrict
what the user should be able to access.

What I see is that the link structure of a site somehow represents the
options and functionalities - and that the main, basic structure of a
website is doing primarily the same job - besides the fact that links
may represent different things: access to content, access to
functionality, access to external stuff, etc.

Beeing a orderly and structured nice guy I would like to have a basic
functionality that offers me quick and easy design & delivery of such
basic navigation capabilities - independent from any layout stuff.

Thats the idea: all links which are "static" (in terms of access) are
defined more-or-less by the application, to be more precise: in the
pylon controllers. Call them NavLinks.

All those links should be put into a central storage - call it the
Navigator. The navigator is responsible to create the "right" set of
links (they are often called "topmenu", "leftmenu", "rightmenu" in the
CSS style sheets), and to feed them into the HTML generation
processing (using mako templates e.g.).

The Navlinks will have attributes like "access groups", "access roles"
or "application states" which defines who is allowed to access the
link. The Navigator will then use the data to select/filter the final
link structure according to the data provided by the application (user
is in group A, has role B, application is in state C).

Additionally there is the definition of views necessary - a view is a
preselected (hand-choosen) selection of NavLinks which represents a
specific basic access structure.

The Navigator would take the data of the Navlinks (describing
controller, action, id etc), use the selected view for getting the
basic structure and would filter the links additionally according to
the users/application data. The result would be then put into the HTML
generation process.

I have implemented a prototype which is quite "handy" and I'm on
extending this approach to support a more generic approach. I did the
prototyp for getting a better touch for the conceptual aspect...

What I'm interested in: is this approach the way a experienced
Pyloniac would go? How do you "build" the basic structure of a
website? Do you hand-code such stuff? Are there libraries used for
this?

Would such a generic Navigator + View + NavLink class system be
interesting for the Pylons community? I would sponsor the stuff since
I see that Pylons should offer such functionality beeing a web
development environment...

Any discussion, critics, ideas welcome... :-)

Regards,
Andrew