Thanks for this post.  I'm very new to Pylons, and I learned a lot.  I
went through the Authorization chapters and needed this post to get
things working.

I extended UsersFromDatabase, and basically copied all the methods
from qlalchemy_driver.py, but had to make changes to get it to work.
Am I way off here?:

From:
    def role_exists(self, role):
        role = self.model.Role.get_by(name=role.lower())
To:
       role =
self.model.Session.query(self.model.Role).filter_by(name=role.lower())

In the original, Role is just a class, so I don't know how you would
call get_by().  My version works but it sure looks ugly.  What am I
missing?

Thanks a lot.

Adam