On Jan 28, 2008 12:53 AM, Christoph Haas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, Mike...
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 08:46:20PM -0800, Mikeroz wrote:
> > I've just started to have some fun with pylons and I've got a question
> > - what's wrong with the documentation? I mean - it's cool because it's
> > there but there's almost no tutorials and stuff... is someone working
> > on it? Or maybe someone could give us (begginers) some links to
> > them? :)
>
> When I started playing with Pylons many moons ago I found myself in the
> same situation. And documentation was even worse back then. It's nice
> that the wiki contains documentation on many topics.

I wonder if Mikeroz saw the Pylons Cookbook, which contains a few tutorials.
http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscookbook/Home

QuickWiki and Flickr are in the official docs.
http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonsdocs/

What exactly is missing?

One thing that's missing, I think, is how to build a bigger app.  What
choices are available for the optional features and add-on packages,
and how to choose whether to use them or not.

> So my current work is to create a profound article introducing newcomers
> to the general concepts of MVC and Pylons while creating an actual
> Pylons project (a bookmark manager) that deals with many areas like
> i18n, session cookies, AJAX, deployments, database models, templates,
> URL routing, form validation and best practices using paster shell and
> the online debugger. The working title is "Beginning Pylons" and it's
> currently maintained at
> http://workaround.org/cgi-bin/hg-beginning-pylons but it's in no way
> ready to be used. However I keep receiving feedback from people who want
> me to finish that article so as soon as I can show something I'll ask
> for feedback.

That sounds wonderful.  The official docs can't do an in-depth
discussion of MVC and
other background stuff, but something like this can.

> Some time this year Apress is to release a Pylons book, too. AFAIK it
> will also be available as LGPL or something. So perhaps I'm creating
> redundant work - I don't know. Perhaps that slows down my efforts a
> little because I hate redundancy. Let's see what comes first. :)

The text will be online.  But that's several months away.  Ben's also
planning an upgrade to
the official docs.  So you could coordinate with them to make sure
it's not redundant.  However,
your bookmark app and different perspective will  be worth reading in any case.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>