It's not 100% accurate to say I'm running Unix.  I'm currently on a
Windows XP box, running MSys, a tiny Unix uh, "subset"?  - developed
mainly for those who need a minimal, bare-bones Unix environment
mainly for when they want to use some software package or other and a
Windows binary is not available and they need to compile from source
using something other than the M$ compiler.  MSys allows opening a
shell window with a limited subset of the commands you'd expect.

Netstat is available, with several options, but -l, -t, or -lt are not
among them.

The output of ps -ef:
$ ps -ef
    UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
    Eric    2808       1 con    Feb 22 /usr/bin/rxvt
    Eric    1508    2808   0    Feb 22 /usr/bin/sh
    Eric    1360    1508   0  22:19:17 /h/Python25/python
    Eric    5260       1 con  08:54:44 /usr/bin/rxvt
    Eric    6736    5260   1  08:54:45 /usr/bin/sh
    Eric    7368    6736   1  08:57:24 /usr/bin/ps

Hmm.  Tried various other options to netstat, like netstat -b.  Can't
find port 5000 in the local address column in any case.  I am using
Firefox to view my site (with Firebug enabled, if that makes a
difference) and I reach my site at 127.0.0.1:5000.

None of this is actually presenting a problem for me; I'm just curious
what's up.

My guess is this Msys setup is wrapping the paster process somehow.
When I look at my Windows task manager / process viewer, I suspect the
lines that show up with "sh.exe" as the process name are probably the
ones for the mini-shell.  Maybe I'll try killing those and see that
kills paster as well.  Though on the other hand, wouldn't that be
about the same thing as manually closing the shell window the other
day?

Thanks for your helpful reply.