At FindMeOn we've decided to do something a little neat -- we're
converting a bunch of our code from various projects ( mod_perl, php,
raw python) to Pylons and releasing a whitelabel / self-hosted social
network solution under a BSD license to be distributed on OpenSN.org

We expect to have the first version ready in a few weeks (though it is
a little messy in the way subclassing works) , and looking for a
public distro within 2 months.  We are using parts of it for 2
projects, and a few friends are building their apps on it.

Can anyone offer advice on good ways to approach this from an
integration & product standpoint?

Right now the 'distro' comes in two parts:

/SocialNetworkInABox - basic pylons app that subclasses...
/SocialNetworkInABox/lib/externals/OpenSnPylons - core library

The idea is that the controllers and model in SocialNetworkInABox all
inherit from OpenSnPylons -- so developers can subclass and override,
and piece together stuff however they'd like

The issues I'm running into mostly have to do with integrating unit
tests.  I'd like to do this... but the OpenSnPylons stuff is highly
abstracted (every featureset it broken into a controller for
inheritance, most of the core-pylons stuff is gone).  I think the only
place tests could happen would be in the sample app.  Would that be
good enough?

If anyone can make suggestions, I'd be grateful.  We're opening this
up under a BSD or MIT license next month, and hoping to have others
join in.

Of course...  it saves profile info in OpenSN.org format and connects
to FindMeOn's RapidRegistration & profile management systems... but a
large goal is to offer a library of stripped down 'myspace/facebook'
features to inherit, so that startups , development shops , and
advertising agencies can use as the basis for their digital efforts.

Best,

// Jonathan Vanasco

w. http://findmeon.com/user/jvanasco
e. [EMAIL PROTECTED]