On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 18:13 -0700, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> If one really has to use a software proxy, then also perhaps look at
> dedicated solutions like Pound. It may be the case that nginx serves
> okay as a proxy, but it isn't purpose built for that and so solutions
> like Pound may provide a more flexible solution which is easier to
> configure and manage when load balancing across many machines.

I often agree with you in general (despite disagreeing on particular
details <wink>).  However you really ought to quit making unfounded
generalizations about Nginx.  It is, in fact, purpose-built to be a
proxy.  It's also far better than Pound (which I also used before
switching to Nginx) as a proxy.  It's true it doesn't (currently) have
very sophisticated load-balancing (round-robin only, unless you use a
3rd party module), but it's almost stupidly simple to configure and
easily outperforms Pound, especially under load.

Regards,
Cliff