from the "url_for" doc string :

    If no route by that name is found, the string is assumed to be a
raw URL.
    Should the raw URL begin with ``/`` then appropriate SCRIPT_NAME
data will
    be added if present, otherwise the string will be used as the url
with
    keyword args becoming GET query args.

But what if I don't want to SCRIPT_NAME to be prefixed to the URL
because it's a link for a different application ?   For example if
pylons app has SCRIPT_NAME of "/pylons" but I want to create a URL for
"/blog/newposts" which is served an a different blog application (so
it should not be converted to /pylons/blog/newposts) ?

Normally I wouldn't need to call url_for in this case, and just use
the external URL directly, but
if I need  to do a redirect using pylons redirect_to it will
internally call url_for and add the SCRIPT_NAME
prefix.