On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Tycon <adie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last word on modwsgi and its "daemon" mode, which is similar to
> reverse proxy and fcgi in that it separates the web server and app
> server. As such, it has the same theoretical performance as reverse
> proxy and fcgi (which in fact provide the same performance), but it
> uses a proprietary communication protocol, and inlike proxy or fcgi,
> it requires the app and web server processes to be on the same machine

Is *that* what you're talking about when you say "daemon mode" and
"proprietary protocol".  I thought you meant daemon mode as in running
PasteHTTPServer or CherryPy as a daemon, and proprietary protocol as
in WSGI or SCGI.

The main point of mod_wsgi's daemon mode is to isolate bugs/memory
leaks between the web application and the server, and to track the
application's individual resource usage in the 'ps' listing.  It's not
designed for multi-machine scalability.

As for its "proprietary" protocol, I consider that an internal matter
of mod_wsgi.  What matters is whether it works, and I haven't heard
any complaints in that regard.

Ultimately it comes down to the sysadmin's time of setting up mod_wsgi
now and possibly switching to something else later, vs setting up
something multi-machine scalable now (which is more work up front).
And that depends on how likely a traffic onslaught is, how quickly the
load will accelerate, and the sysadmin's future availability.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>