From what you all say I think we do agree that it is not just a
superficial question of style. It goes beyond that, and there is a
price to pay -- and that the price is generally justifiable. And, as
Micheal eloquently states, given the looming horizon, the line taken
by pylons promises to attract more and more people in the future, as
more people from other worlds will learn about what py3k really
offers. But then again, the more eclipsed java developers come to
pylons, the harder it will be for pylons to dearly hold on to that
slippery simplicity... !

I of course agree with Jorge's argument on the advantages of a non-
monolithic framework And yes of course that having different
components to install will naturally give rise to numerous
installation problems. But, it remains that that there were several
strange setuptools-related problems when I first started to get pylons
projects going, problems that I was not interested about in the very
least. The bugginess on that front seems to be getting less, but
without getting into endless religious discussions you have to admit
there is an added sometimes-cryptic layer added about how packages are
installed, where the py source code is, etc. And, "simplicity" suffers
a little hit as a consequence.

As for replacing components, I completely appreciate the possibility
of doing so. If pylons did not allow me to use *the* state-of-the-art
templating (that of course is http://evoque.gizmojo.org/ ;-)  it would
certainly be a less attractive framework. However most of the docs,
default settings etc are geared towards a "default profile" of
components, namely mako and SA. Go out of that mould, and you may have
integration puzzles to solve, or in any case you are still dependent
on the "unused" package anyway (in the case of mako). As for paste, I
certainly do not want to fiddle with replacing the builtin dev web
server -- has anyone (apart from pylons developers that is) even
considered trying?

Small anecdote about unicode issues, and migration to Py3k... unicode
is unicode, be it py2 or py3. Nothing has changed conceptually in py3
on this, except that all strings are now unicode -- something that has
been a best practice in py2 since how many years? As for "porting"
evoque to py3k, once I got actually started on it, I ended up getting
it done in one sitting. It was easy, mostly a superficial set of
import and naming adjustments. Evoque also has a little library to
automatically "guess" (with hints allowed) the encoding of a text
file, so it certainly has to deal with encodings. But it was easy to
do because the application internally was in the first place all
unicode anyway.

Cheers, mario