I'm having a similar issue.  I believe it's related to the virtualenv.

I can do

import repoze.what.plugins.quickstart

after installing it the regular way, but when doing it in virtualenv
it doesn't work, even though I made 100% sure

Here's how to repro:
virtualenv virttest
cd virttest
source bin/activate
easy_install repoze.what-quickstart repoze.what-pylons
ipython
>> import repoze.what.plugins.quickstart

Anyways, once I installed it globally outside of the virtualenv it
worked globally.  Also, that seemed to make it work inside the
virtualenv as well.

So I think it's looking in the global path or something.  maybe I
configured virtualenv wrong too?