Hi
On 28 Sep 2009, at 21:19, Krishnakant wrote:

> I would like to know whether pylons can be choosen for a web
> application
> involving heavy load resulting from a lot of requests and form based
> data submission and dynamic updates?

There's no a priori reason why not, Reddit runs off've a modded Pylons
installation. But your mileage is going to vary with your definition
of "heavy" and "a lot". http://www.car.gr is another Pylons site that
is generally agreed to handle "a lot" of traffic.

I recommend spending some time getting a sense of the kind of problems
that come with high traffic:

http://highscalability.com/scaling-twitter-making-twitter-10000-percent-faster

IMO the basic lesson is well summarised here:

"It is as I suspected all along, the language / framework are all but
bit players in the grand scheme of scalable architecture. IMO this
also explains why other scripting languages like Perl, PHP, VBScript,
Python, etc are not front and center when it comes to scalability.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Ruby performance can be improved but the
real challenges lie elsewhere in the backend. I guess all the initial
hype about RoR productivity led to exuberant expectations and the
inevitable crash. Truth be told, the scaffolding bits that allow you
to put up a web page in 5 mins is useless when it comes to real
development. Once the hood is lifted, the real work begins. Sites
developed with other scripting languages/framework went through the
same growing pains but without the glitz and media attention that RoR
garnered. I believe J2EE went through the same growing pains early on
in their adoption. These are expected growing pains, nothing more,
nothing less."

At Twitter-sized levels of adoption, the serving of web pages becomes
an entirely different game. However the real trick is getting to that
point :-)

> I am about to start building an accounting and micro finance based web
> application.  In future I will also require to add on-line banking
> modules.
> I initially wanted to go with turbogears but find the overall
> documentation of pylons better and the arketecture streight forward.
> So if Pylons (or tg2) for that matter can take the kind of load on a
> production website which is needed in an ERP kind of application,
> then I
> will have no second thoughts.

Does Enterprise Resource Planning typically place those kinds of
response demands on a system? I'd have thought that ERP would
exercises a framework's flexibility more than its performance under
massive load. If you're intending to sell an ERP solution into
corporates, you will have to have a commensurate development budget
'cos you'll need a fully-productised offering. If you're intending to
grow organically, then like as not you'll have adequate time to
gradually evolve the app as the traffic grows.

In terms of developing a solution, the Java world is probably your
best bet for development support (Struts, etc) but if you prefer to
work with Python, then Pylons is the right place to be.

Cheers,

Graham

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghiggins