On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM, m h <sesqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Folks-
>
> This might be semi weird.  I've got a client that wants to be able to
> run an application without installing per se.  They've currently got
> everything checked into an SCM,

Does SCM mean version control system?

> and want to be able to pull it down
> and type "make serve" and have the server start running.  They are
> doing pure WSGI right now but would like to move to a web framework.
>
> Has anyone done something like this with Pylons?  (ie have Pylons and
> it's dependencies in SCM, rather than having to install them).  It
> looks like PIP with it's support for "editable" packages might work.
> Any suggestions?

I would hesitate to put the entire virtualenv into version control
because the Python executable is a binary, there are symlinks from the
lib directory to the system Python, and also .so files (binary) in the
lib directory.  These all will work only on the same computer, or at
least one with identical paths, OS, and Python version.

You can set up a "make" command to create a virtualenv on the
destination system and install the application into it (using editable
as you said).

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>