On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Matt Feifarek <matt.feifa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It takes a long time (from 5 to 10 sec) to serve the first request if
>> the instance is not hot.
>> Is some body else experiencing this the problem?
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too. I can't explain it, but if you Google for it,
> you'll see others complaining. My guess is that the AppEngine infrastructure
> clears your app out of The Memory of The Google when it hasn't been used.
> Once it's used, it comes up instantly (the second time).
>
> I've noticed this also if I come back in a few hours (nobody else has hit my
> testing app, so I bet it gets garbage collected). Not sure what we can do
> about it. Perhaps if it's running some long-running tasks?
>
> I have to admit, as much as the high-availability of GAE is attractive, if
> hits are going to take 10s to come back, that's a pretty big negative.

The only way to really fix this is to make the startup time of the app
faster.  I'm a little surprised with 10s, though if it was down to 3-5
seconds I probably would decide to not care, since the warmup is going
to be a small percentage of requests (especially the requests people
care about).  Other warmup costs can be substantial too, like getting
all the Javascript and CSS cached on the user's browser.

Imports are probably slower on GAE because it doesn't use .pyc files.
(Though why not, I'm not sure -- it should be able to generate its own
.pyc files that it can trust on app upload.)  Depending on your code
layout, searching for packages might be slow (.egg directories will
slow it down).  I'm not sure if .egg directories will be significant,
but they could be.  Lazy importing will help, especially if some
modules won't need to be loaded for the life of the process.  Lazy
requests, perhaps leading to a worse speed perception than a single
initial hit.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker