On May 30, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Eugueny Kontsevoy wrote:

> Besides, I find those things (request/response) to be a secondary concern. I
> like to start every project as a simple console/ncurses app with full test
> coverage. Request/response and other UI is just a last minute snap-on, so I
> don't like bending my test code over to carry around UI-specific objects.
> "pylons.config" is vastly superior.

So the question... it obviously is damn useful to have them available. So even
in the future when they're optional, I'd still like the option of using them to
be fairly 'sane'. I can (and have now) added the setup of these objects to the
Pylons nose extension, so at least app_globals and config will be present in
tests from 1.0.1 and on.

Of course, after looking at it, I realize that it would've been nice to know
when the configuration period has *ended*, since then I know that I can
populate the globals. At the moment, there is no definitive way to know when
the configuration period of a Pylons app has actually completed.
config.init_app is called, but then things, like app_globals, are added
afterwards. So while my nose extension should help for testing purposes with
the 1.0.1 release, going forward Pylons needs a way to more explicitly declare
the *end* of the configuration stage.

This would also help with making the global's more optional, which is part of
my Pylons 1.1 intention. With the introduction of events in Pylons 1.1, it'll
be fairly easy to make the globals optional, and when using the 'globals
extension' or whatever it is named, it can just listen for the 'configuration
ended' event, and register the globals for use with scripts/tests.

Cheers,
Ben