Hi everyone,

As this mailing list has proved very proficient in the past in helping
with my problems, I thought you could help me now by brain storming
for more optimizations on our production site here. I have done all
the things I can think of by now, but maybe I'm missing something
fundamental.

Recently, one of our pylons projects has gathered quite a bit of
attention, and the requests to the site have gone up massively.

It is still a Pylons 0.9.6.2 project (yes, yes, I know how ancient
that is ;) ). It is running on a Xen Vserver with 4 GB of memory, 4
cores from the dual i7 975 processor in that machine, and a chunk from
the raid configured in the logical volume manager. The operating
system for the machine is Debian Lenny.

The site is running using daemon mode of mod_wsgi in Apache, most of
the static files are served directly by Apache (the ones which don't
need more access control). A tomcat is running on that machine, too,
for the Solr search engine which powers large amounts of the site.

The database is a postgres for that site, mainly configured with the
defaults for a Debian installation.

We are doing around 3k visits a day, with around 10-15k pageviews on the site.

The problem I am seeing now is mostly load on the server, which is now
constantly near or over 1. WIth 4 cores, I know that I can go safely
up to a load of around 4, but I am still a bit concerned by the
scaling of the site. Another project (a drupal php site) is doing 20k
pageviews without taxing a very similar configured server at all.

The "problems" in here might be related to a photo gallery we put live
a month or so ago, which hosts quite a bit of pictures, and offers a
drupal imagecache like function. I have looked very carefully that the
PIL functions are only used if no cached version of the resized photo
exists, to not tax the server memory too much. But I need to route all
requests for images through the controller, as we have strict access
control in place, so I can't just let the apache serve the cache
images. I'm using the FileApp approach I have asked about 2 months
back, which works without (visible) problem.

I'm not seeing much "waiting" cpu load on the server, which would
indicate an IO bottleneck somewhere, but really user cpu load (in top)

I just want to explore more options before throwing more hardware at
the project, if I am missing something fundamental here.

This is just a rough sketch about the project, if you have an idea and
need more information about that, just ask, and I will try to provide
the information.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers,
Jens