For Pylons 1.0 the following should work -

I'm assuming a controller action. If this is the case you can set-up
the following imports in the controller file

from pylons import url
from pylons.controllers.util redirect

Then within the controller action return the redirect

def TestController(BaseController):

      def test_redirect(self):
            return redirect(url('http://www.cnn.com'))