Am 16.12.2010 21:24 schrieb Bruce Wade:
I agree with everything Jeremy says, plus using jQuery instead of
pyjamas gives you 100% control over everything including your HTML.
Maybe it is just a personal bias or because I come from a C/C++
programming world but I can't stand how some technology tries to
automate the UI. For example it wont work for my site considering I
require WebGL.

We recently discussed this over at TurboGears.

The first thing to acknowledge is that there are two different kinds of RIAs which both have their own right to exist. On the one side, pimped-up webforms with unobtrusive JavaScript, on the other side webapps modeled after desktop GUIs which will not function at all without JavaScript.

After reading the "Magic Ink" article http://worrydream.com/MagicInk/, I associate the first type of webapp more with what Bret Victor calls "information software", while the second type of webapp plays in the realm of "manipulation softare" which is harder to design, but luckily also less frequently needed and as he says best be avoided - but of course not always, and I guess you're thinking of such examples, such as an web-based alternative to Photoshop.

These kinds of webapp will typically take over the whole browser, the server (which could be Pyramid, too) will just serve up data to the client e.g. via JSON-RPC, no need for server-side templating etc. You can develop such beasts with Pyjamas, Sproutcore, Cappuccino, Quooxdoo etc. The problem is that you become very dependent of these tools and their widget sets, it may be hard to customize or extend the existing widgets. For instance, I'm missing grids (like jqgrid) in Sproutcore. And you will have to do more in JavaScript than in Python - though I noticed that "JavaScript the good parts" is actually very similar to Python, and a good JavaScript library can make up for the rest.

I'm a bit sceptical about Pyjamas. On the one hand you can use Python on the client side, but on the other hand it requires an additional compilation step during development, and you're always lagging behind the current development of the GWT and its tools, Python itself (Python 3 support), and new browsers and browser features. I don't think the Pyjamas community is large enough to manage these huge development and maintenance tasks, so you will have to engage deeply in the Pyjamas project and may not have enough time for developing your actual webapp.

Anyway, I'd like to read some ideas and experiences, and how Pyramid can be used or extended to serve both types of webapps.

-- Christoph