I do have my own WSGI transaction manager. It is 44 lines long. It operates
at the WSGI layer so it puts the per-request session in the WSGI environ. It
probably issues COMMIT more often than necessary.

It exists to avoid an external dependency in case you would rather use a
different transaction manager.

Most of the time it does not matter whether the transaction manager is
threadlocal or not, since most of the code you might want to unit test
doesn't need to touch it. The manager will commit if there was no unexpected
exception, else rollback, but that is transparent to the view.